Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Tidbits of the Larger Picture

 Walking around the Old City in East Jerusalem yesterday, I succumbed to a shop owner's appeal to see the work of Palestinian artists on display in the next shop, knowing that it was really an appeal to buy something. I did buy something in the end, overcome by the very clever strategy of  the owner, but in the process I got to interview the woman who was tending the gallery of Palestinian artists. After I  had appreciated the paintings and reproductions that filled the small space, I started chatting with Rula, who was probably just bored enough (for lack of customers) not to mind my intrusion.

IMG_0486.jpg

Rula, age 58, with long, wavy brown hair is the divorced mother of four adult children, all of whom live in the U.S. and all are graduates of U.S. universities. She raised the children alone.  When she was just 4 she was sent to a private school because of the dangers her family faced after the '67 war. The separation from her parents was traumatic. Her father was raised in Jaffa, and was among the thousands forced to flee from there in '48, leaving behind a beautiful home.  What became of all those beautiful homes?  They are now very high-value Israeli homes.  The Palestinian owners gradually sold them for very little in order to take their children to safer apartment buildings. What I hadn't known is that Israel had a policy of pushing drugs to children so that the parents would leave.  Which they did, selling far below the market value buildings now worth millions.

I asked Rula a question that has been pressing on me for some time.  Did she think the Israelis will take over the whole of Jerusalem's Old City, already filling with more and more settlers and soldiers? Sadly, she said, "Yes. They will take it all". One of their methods is to promote the sale of drugs to children.  Parents decide to leave to protect them.  They need to sell their apartments, but few Palestinians can afford the price.  Israeli settlers can afford it, and the family submits to that reality. One more settler family them moves into the Muslim Quarter of the Old City.  I already know that settlers make for noisy, obnoxious behaviors which they hope will influence more Palestinians to leave.

This scenario is both enraging and very sad.  Rula said I should not be so sad for Palestine, as it will make me sick.  "And besides,  the world is changing. The U.S. is not as strong; China and Russia are stronger. Israel is reaching out to Arab countries because Israel knows it cannot depend on U.S. protection forever.  So she has hope.

Later I read an email from Churches for Middle East Peace reporting that the U.S. government is concerned about the uptick in violence in the West Bank, and was asking both sides to deescalate.  And I say to myself, "How interesting: the US is concerned now that some Palestinians have become violent toward Israeli soldiers, but not concerned about years of Israeli's daily aggression against Palestinians."

I would add a photo of Rula, but tech difficulties are interfering!  Best I send this blog when I can.  I send it with love for Palestine and all peacemakers, Sherrill


No comments:

Post a Comment